Monday, November 3, 2008

First day at yoga and dancing lessons

Yeeezzzaaaa..!

Just got back from yoga and dancing lessons. My first time for both classes. I didn't learn much yoga tonight. Just the breathing technique and a few yoga steps. Everything was aching when I bend. I remember a friend told me someone told her that she is definitely a young woman with a 65 year old woman's energy. Oh, no. Not me. Not 65. Maybe 50 lah... muda sikit. Har har har.

Dancing was good. I learned the Cha cha steps very quick, in within 20 minutes I could remember them already. Just the steps lah... of course minus all the lenggang-lenggok, specially on the hips area. I looked at myself in the mirror thought, hey, who's that piece of wood? But never mind bah... it's only my first lesson. There will be more classes and practices soon. Yang penting, it's a good and enjoyable form of exercise. Harap lah aku nak berjogging sekitar housing area, ye lah, jogging sorang-sorang mana best. Sekurang-kurangnya dengan menari, aku boleh bersenam dan bergembira sekaligus.

You know, two days ago I heard the news Muslims are discouraged to practice yoga as their exercise. Those 'people in-charge' said it's a ritual performance by one particular religion. They recite mantras during yoga and it meant to make them closer to their god. Therefore, Muslims must avoid yoga at all. A fatwa will be issued regarding this matter.

Being a first timer at yoga lesson, I was wondering whether or not I have to recite mantras. It freaks me a bit because if my pastor knew, he will surely bring it up in the pray meeting sessions and I'll be infamous. Ha ha, I'm just kidding you, pastor. Sorry.

When the lesson started, I waited for the instructor to approach me and teach me the mantras. Ya, she did approached me... but not to teach me mantras. She taught me the breathing techniques. I wanted to ask whether I will be given a piece of paper with full of mantras to be memorized, but I was too shy, so I didn't ask. After the breathing techniques lesson, I watched my fellow yoga students performing the exercise. Aik? How come they started straight away? When is the mantra session? In the news, it stated clearly there are mantras, where are they?

I keep waiting for the mantra session but to no avail, it never happened in the lesson. Nobody ever mention about mantras. After the one hour lesson, they all talked about everything but mantras. Errrmmm... did I read in the newspaper about those mantras in yoga two days ago? Or, was it in my dream...? Errmm... no, really, I read it two days ago!

But why no mantras, just exercise?

Never mind, I'll be attending more classes soon. Maybe they are saving those mantras for next lesson. Wait ah...I'll find out more about it soon.

Please don't take it as an offence. I don't mean to create any provocation here. I'm just curious because they are going to ban Muslims from practicing yoga as a form of exercise. They said yoga could harm Muslims 'akidah'. I'm just wondering how is that true, because I've been to yoga and it is purely exercise. I am a little confused now, if the news is true then I myself cannot do yoga anymore. It will be against my religion as well. Well, I guess I'll have to go to the next lesson and ask my instructor what she thinks about it.

*Yawn*
Aduh... mata dah mengantuk pula. Masuk tidur dulu lah. Good night. *Yawn*

0 comments: