Sunday, March 1, 2009

Big? What big?

Student C.Y.L: Excuse me, Miss E. May I go out, please, please?

Me: I'm sorry dear, but we are in the middle of dictation activity. If I let you go right now, we will have to wait for you to come back before we can continue our activity. Can you wait for another 5 minutes?

Student C.Y.L: But I gotta go, please, please? You know when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Me: Alright. In that case, I give you 3 minutes and you have to promise you won't wet your pants or shoes or head so you have new reasons not to be in my class.

Student C.Y.L: Yes, Miss E. I promise.

Me: OK. Off you go. I expect you to be back three minutes from now.

(Student C.Y.L grabbed the pass card and rushed out)

One minute..

Two minutes...

Three minutes....
He's not back yet. Alright. Give him another minute.

Another minute was up. Still not back yet. Give him another minute.

Another minute was up, no sign of him. Total of 5 minutes now. OK. Maybe he's having a poo, give him another 2 minutes.
.
.
.
.
.
Two minutes were up. Still no sign of him. I started to be impatient.

Me: Ban Chang, can you check him in the washroom? Drag him out if he doesn't have important business there.

Class Monitor: Yes, Miss E.
(Off he went)

Five minutes later,

Class Monitor: I'm sorry, Miss E. He's no where to be found. I tried the other nearest washrooms but he's not there too.

Me: Thanks for your effort. Alright. If that is the case, we have to resume our activity without him.

We continued our dictation activity.

Riiiinnnnggggggggggg!!!

Me: Times up, children. Don't forget to bring your drawing block for our art class tomorrow.

Students: Yes, Miss E. Thank you, Miss E.

I went to the staff and dropped my stuffs. Grabbed my rotan, changed my high heels into a comfortable flat sandals and went on a 'mission' to locate this C.Y.L.

I started with all the washrooms in the school. He was not there.
Next was the school compound. He was not anywhere to be seen. Tsk!
Then I had no choice but to report his 'missing' to the management.

I was about to go to the office when I heard the loud scolding tone from the security officer's post. Though I didn't understand what they were saying (I don't speak Mandarin), I knew it was about my student. I went there and there he was, without even a slight of guilty feeling, he glanced at me.

Me: You lied!

Security Officer : (In a 'failed' Bahasa Melayu) I found him running around the car park area. He had a ruler with him and I thought I saw him scratching a few cars.

Me: Right. Thank you Mr. X. I'll take him from here.

I was too angry so I chose not to deal with him. I sent him to the management instead. I explained to them what happened and mentioned this is not the first time he 'strayed' away from my class.

Later in the afternoon, I asked myself. Is it my fault that I could not tackle that one particular student. I never got the 'chemistry' with the boy, no matter what I did. Last week in my art class, he refused to participate. Never mind that, but what pissed me off was that he disturbed his classmates. He purposely ruined their drawings with wet paint brush and found it amusing when his classmates cried. I tried to approach him with all those 'nice methods' taught to me in college but to no avail. He seemed to be 'deaf' when it comes to advice and friendly reminder. Finally I lost it. I have no right to physically punish him, so I sent him to the discipline teacher. You know what the teacher told me after meeting that boy? He said he hated me because I don't speak Mandarin and he doesn't like English or Malay language.

There's more. He said another reason was because my breast are big!!

For four-letters-word sake, kid, what do you know?! My breast are not for you to observe or anything, you are only 8 years old for heaven sake!

How could he make such remark on my breast? I can't do anything about my breast, I didn't have a choice on how big I want them to be. So you, little brat, I wanted so much to call you 'pervert' but because you are only a minor age and you don't understand what it means anyway, you are safe.

I will not give up on him, big no. He is maybe the hardest student I have so far but I refuse to give up on him. There must be ways to get through him, I will find out how.

Ya, I am furious for what he did and said. But he's only a kid, a kid can't rule me. I will get into him one day. I promise. I will make him understand, just because I don't speak Mandarin, it doesn't mean I am a bad teacher for him. I'm not the most perfect teacher but I believe I have enough qualities to deserve the title of a good teacher .


And for his 'low opinion' on my breast size, well...kiddo, I can't do anything about it. You are allowed to exercise your freedom of speech and opinion. Just so you know, if it not because you are a minor age, I would take your remark as a compliment. Oh well. One day when you grow up and start to notice your opposite sex, maybe you'll change your mind about it. Ha Ha!

Kids these days, ei? Tsk, tsk, tsk!

1 comments:

Hobbit Wife said...

Hahahahahhaa! Goodness your students! Haha! Sabar kau....:)