Friday, March 27, 2009

One clear soup, please?

Went to a restaurant for quick lunch today. The waitress ushered me to a table for one and gave me the menu. It took me a few minutes to browse through it before deciding what I wanted to have. I waved to her with a smile, signaling that I was ready to order. She smiled back to me and came towards my table immediatelly.

Me: Erm, saye nak set yang ni (pointing at the picture on the menu).

Waitress: Oh, if you like that one, why not try this one (pointing at other picture on the menu). It's our chef recommendation, it's more delicious and yet the price only differ a few ringgit.

Hmmm..trying your marketing skills on me, ei?

Me: OK, boleh. Jap ye, saye bace dulu set ni datang dengan ape.

Waitress: Sure, take your time, Mem.

Ait, panggil aku Mem, ek?

Me: OK, saye ambik yang ni. Thanks ah.

Waitress: Any side order, Mem? Spring rolls maybe?

Not being able to say no to a friendly-smiling waitress, I said yes. I know if I said no, she will try to sell me other things. She was satisfied with my 'yes-es' and went to the kitchen to put my order. I thought I was impressed with her, it's not usual to have a waitress speaking English in a cheap restaurant like that.

Suddenly I noticed the soup in the set I ordered was mushroom. NO, I hate mushroom soup! I waved at her again, she came to attend me.

Me: I'm really sorry to bother you, but is it too much if I ask you to change the mushroom to clear soup?

Waitress: Erm, I have to check with our chef first. Give me a second.

Then she hurried to the kitchen.

She came back with no smile on her face. My fingers were crossed, please don't say you can't change it. I really don't want mushroom soup.

Waitress: I'm sorry, Mem. The clear is out of stock. We only have mushroom, tomato and tomyam left.

Me: (Puzzled) Excuse me?

Waitress: Oh, I mean the clear is not available today. I guess the raining season affected the stock in the market.

Me: (More puzzled)I'm sorry, I don't get it. You don't have clear soup today because of the raining season?

Waitress: Yes. Can I change your soup to tomato or tomyam?

I thought tomyam without those meat and seafood and stuff can be called clear soup?

Me: Tomyam it is, then. Thanks.

What the hell is the connection between the clear soup and raining season? I am still puzzled. If it was not for the waitress was busy attending the lunch crowd, I would ask her again about it.

Or did she not know what is a clear soup?

0 comments: